Iowa Gun Law


Iowa Concealed Carry Permit Information


An applicant must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age for a professional permit;
  • Be at least 21 years of age for a non-professional permit;
  • Complete a firearms training course;
  • Not be addicted to the use of alcohol;
  • Have no pending charges;
  • Have no felony convictions;
  • Have no outstanding arrest warrants;
  • Not be subject to the firearm possession, receipt, transportation or control prohibitions;
  • Not have been convicted within the previous 3 years in any court of a serious or aggravated misdemeanor not involving a firearm or explosives for which the court could have imprisoned him or her for more than 1 year, even if he or she received a shorter sentence, including probation;
  • Not bear probable cause to use a weapon unlawfully or in such other manner as would endanger the person’s self or others based on prior actions in the last 2 years; and
  • Meet federal law requirements.

Initial Permit  $50

Renewals $25

Duplicates $25

Valid For:

5 years

Processing Time:

30 days

Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permits:

Non-resident permits are available and the application is the same as for residents. Professional permit applications for non-residents must be made to the Commissioner of Public Safety. [Iowa Code § 724.11]

Name/Address Changes:

Iowa DPS recommends that a person notify the Sheriff’s Office that issued a permit when a person has a change of address. However, if a person moved from one county to another, he or she must start over to get a permit showing the new address, as the Sheriff of the new county of residence cannot issue a duplicate or renew a permit that the Sheriff did not issue. There will be a procedure to allow a person to transfer his or her permit from one county to another after a move. This transfer process is currently being developed and should be available once the new permit cards are available.

Lost/Stolen Permits:

Apply to the Sheriff in the county of your residence for a duplicate, replacement or renewal.

Residency Changes:

Moving to Iowa and interested in applying for a permit? How soon can you apply?
Iowa issues permits to residents, members of the military and limited non-residents who work or go to school in Iowa. You can apply for a resident permit with the sheriff of your county once you have established your residence in that county and have an Iowa Driver's license or state-issued ID.

Moving from Iowa and have an Iowa resident permit? Does that permit transfer to your new state? Is there a grace period during which your Iowa permit remains valid?
If a person with an Iowa permit to concealed carry establishes residency in another state, he or she should contact the issuing authority for a determination as to how long the permit remains valid.